Introduction to Hashimotos
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is the most common cause of Hypothyroidism in the USA among patients above 6 years of age.
It is a type of Auto-Immune Thyroid Disorder (AITD).
Women are 7 times more affected than men with this disorder.
Mechanism of Hashimoto’s
The causation and development of autoimmune Thyroid disease involves a complex interplay of multiple factors.
Hashimoto’s is characterized by the destruction of the Thyroid gland by antibodies produced against the Thyroid cells.
Patient’s with Hashimoto’s show antibodies to various Thyroid antigens (proteins). The most common antibody is anti-TPO (Thyroperoxidase). In addition, anti-TG (Thyroglobulin), TSH receptor blocking antibodies (TBII), Thyroid stimulating antibody and cytotoxic antibody can be seen. In 10-15% patients no antibodies are detected.
Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is frequently associated with other autoimmune diseases: Celiac disease (45%), Primary Biliary Cirrhosis (20%), Adrenal insufficiency, pernicious anemia (15%) and Type 1 Diabetes mellitus).
Development of any autoimmune disorder requires a combination of three essential elements:
- Genetic predisposition
- Triggers: They are agents against which Antibodies are produced (Food, Infections, Toxins…etc)
- Abnormal Intestinal permeability: Loss of the Intestinal barrier causing Leaky Gut Syndrome
The autoimmune process requires continued exposure to triggers.
While it may not be possible to change the genetic makeup, it is possible to eliminate Triggers, heal the gut to alter intestinal permeability and thereby reverse Hashimoto’s disease.
Triggers, There are several Identifiable Triggers:
- Diet: Food plays a central role in the genesis of autoimmune disorders. Eliminating Gluten, Dairy and GMO Soy (Genetically modified) from the diet is the first important step. A complete remission of symptoms is usually seen within 3 to 6 months of removing Gluten, Dairy and Soy from the Diet.
- Gluten: Gluten acts as a trigger and increases intestinal permeability. Removing Gluten from the diet reverses the Intestinal permeability, thereby allowing the Gut and the Body to heal and regenerate by itself.
- Infections: Infections (Bacterial, fungal, parasitic…) are known triggers. Identifying and removing these infections can result in a complete remission of Hashimoto’s.
- Toxins: Toxins like Mercury, lead, Fluoride and Chlorinated water can cause Hypothyroidism. Detoxifying the body by eating Organic foods, filtering the water can help heal the thyroid and reverse Hashimoto’s.
- Abnormal Intestinal permeability: Damage to the Intestinal epithelium can compromise the intestinal barrier leading on to abnormal Intestinal permeability.
- Gluten sensitivity: Gluten (Protein found in Wheat, Barley, Rye, Oats, Kamut, and Spelt) has been identified as the culprit in Hashimoto’s, Celiac, Graves and Rheumatoid arthritis. Gluten sensitivity testing can identify the problem in most cases. In some patients, Gluten sensitivity is identified only after a gluten free diet is implemented. If Gluten was the only root cause, then remission should be seen within 3 to 6 months. If not other causes must be sought out.
- Gluten sensitivity & Cross Reactive proteins: Certain Individuals who have Gluten sensitivity also cross react to other proteins that include rice, quinoa, corn, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds. Thorough testing for food sensitivities can help identify these issues.
- Infections: Infections are thought to act as triggers for Autoimmune disorders through a process called Molecular mimicry. Bacterial cell walls sometimes have the same proteins that are present in Human cells. If antibodies are created against those shared common proteins, the antibodies start attacking our own cells which triggers the autoimmune response.
Types of Bacterial infections associated with Hashimoto’s disease are:
- H Pylori: Stomach ulcers and Acid reflux
- Borrelia Burdorferi: Causes Lyme disease
- Yersinia Enterocolitica: Causes Enterocolitis / Bloody diarrhea : Caused by eating Raw / uncooked Pork, Deer meat, poultry, dairy products, Oysters, Milk and water
This website is for informational purposes only and does not offer medical advice. Some of the statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products and services discussed are not intended to diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All the services offered at Ageless Integrated Medicine can be prescribed by our Physician, which will include a thorough review of your Medical History, Physical Examination and possible Blood work Laboratory analysis. After such a thorough review, our Physician will determine if you are an appropriate candidate for the treatment sought based on your Individual Medical History, current health status and Laboratory results.