Why is Estrogen Important?
Estrogen / Estradiol is probably the most important hormone in Women and in Men. Estradiol plays a very important role in preventing Alzheimer’s dementia, protecting against Heart attacks and Strokes, preventing and reversing Osteoporosis & maintaining overall health & wellness.
Estrogen is responsible for growth of tissues like the Breast, the endometrial lining of the Uterus and maintaining vaginal moisture. Estrogen has more than 400 functions in the Human Body.
Women need proper balancing of Estrogen, Progesterone and Testosterone for maintaining adequate functioning of important Organ systems (Brain, Bones and Heart)
Types of Estrogen:
In women, three types of Estrogen are produced:
- Primarily produced by the Ovary. It is the most predominant form of Estrogen in Premenopausal women. Due to the presence of fluctuations in daily levels, Estradiol measurements alone in premenopausal women are not reliable. FSH should be measured in addition to Estradiol.
- Formed from Estradiol in a reversible reaction. This is the predominant form of circulating Estrogen after Menopause. Estrone is also a product of peripheral conversion of Androstenedione by the Adrenal cortex.
- The estrogen that the placenta secretes during pregnancy. It is the peripheral metabolite of Estradiol and Estrone. It is not secreted by the Ovary.
Why is Estradiol more important than Estriol?
- There are 2 types of Estrogen Receptors (Locks), ER-α and ER-β . Organs that have ER-α receptors are the Hypothalamus, Breast, Intestine, Ovary, Testes, Uterine endometrium. Organs that have ER- β receptors are Brain, Heart, and Endothelial cells, Lungs, Bones, Kidney, Intestinal Mucosa, Ovary and Prostate.
- Estradiol is the most important Estrogen. It is 80 times more potent than Estriol and has 100% binding affinity to both the ER-α and ER-β receptors. Hence it provides all the beneficial effects on the Brain, bones and Heart, in addition to providing symptomatic relief of Hot flashes/ Irritability/ Vaginal Dryness.
- Estriol has 1% binding affinity to the receptors. So while it may provide some relief from Hot flashes / Vaginal Dryness, it does not provide the Protective effects on the Heart, Brain and Bones.
- Unfortunately, even today many physicians prescribe Synthetic Estrogen and Progestin’s for treating symptoms of Menopause. The Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) Study showed an increased risk of Breast cancer with Synthetic hormones. A recent Meta-analytic study in the New England Journal of Medicine also showed an increase in the incidence of Breast Cancer with Long-term use of Synthetic Estrogen.
- When Natural / Bio-Identical Estradiol is used either in the form of Creams or Pellets, in conjunction with Natural Oral Micronized Progesterone, it offers protection against Breast Cancer and Uterine Cancer.
- At Ageless Integrated Medicine, we use Bio-Identical Estradiol and Testosterone, derived from Natural Plant sources (Yams or Soy).
Functions of Estrogen:
- Reduces Hot Flashes/Night Sweats
- Reduces Moodiness/Irritability
- Reduces Vaginal Dryness
- Reduces Urinary Tract Infections/Yeast Infections/Urinary Incontinence
- Reduces the Incidence of Hip Fractures by preventing &/or reversing Osteoporosis
- Reduces the Incidence of Heart Attacks and Strokes by protecting the Endothelium (Inner lining of Arteries and Blood Vessels)
- Postmenopausal women on Estrogen Replacement Therapy have a 70% reduction in mortality due to Heart Disease.
- Estradiol reduces LDL (Bad cholesterol) and raises HDL (Good cholesterol).
- Reduces Visceral fat and improves Insulin sensitivity, thereby decreasing Blood sugar levels.
- Reduce Incidence of Alzheimer’s Dementia, and improves memory and Learning abilities by protecting nerve cells and Brain function.
- Improves Static Balance and reduces Falls.
- Work as an antidepressant by increasing serotonin levels.
Symptoms of Estrogen deficiency*:
- Hot flashes and/or night sweats
- Changes in mood/moodiness
- Mental fogginess
- Memory and concentration problems
- Depression and/or irritability
- Migraine headaches
- Vaginal dryness
- Frequent urination / Urinary Incontinence
- Dry skin
- Sagging breast and/or loss of breast fullness
* A comprehensive thorough Hormone blood work panel can help Identify Low Estradiol and a possible hormone imbalance
This website is for informational purposes only and does not offer medical advice. Some of the statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The products and services discussed are not intended to diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. All the services offered at Ageless Integrated Medicine can be prescribed by our Physician, which will include a thorough review of your Medical History, Physical Examination and possible Blood work Laboratory analysis. After such a thorough review, our Physician will determine if you are an appropriate candidate for the treatment sought based on your Individual Medical History, current health status and Laboratory results.